Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Penny

Well most sadly for the second time in one year, I (and many others) have had the horrible misfortune to have to say goodbye to an amazing and inspirational professor at Western. Penny Britton was by far my favorite professor during my time at Western. She was kind, unflinchingly funny, caring and inspirational. Penny battled breast cancer three times. She beat it three times. My senior year during my spring quarter while working closely with her, it was found out that she had a brain tumor. When it was removed it was found to be the size of a fist. When she returned from time away she was incredibly upbeat and healthy. When I saw her in the office she screamed, "ahhh Diana! I missed you! Wanna see my scar, it's awesome." I love Penny. Her classes not only taught me so much about Communication, but taught me about my peers, myself and my relationships. I can't imagine the Comm department without the amazing energy and light of Penny Britton. My heart and thoughts go out to her husband and family who she adored and spoke of lovingly and often during class. She's an amazing woman and will not be soon forgotten.

No comments: