Thursday, December 13, 2007

Physical Therapy


Today was my first appointment with the physical therapist trainer lady. It went pretty well, it was very business, there was so little small talk and pleasantries I almost felt uncomfortable. I mean she was nice and all, she would comment after the really hard exercises and ask me how they went with a smirk and everything, but it was very business. I think it was because there were like three other people in there trying to do therapy at the same time. The most disturbing part was right when I got there she was evaluating me and talking about what hurt and everything, manipulating my knee and feeling around and everything. She told me to sit on the edge of the table (you've seen those tall training room tables) and bend my knee in and out. My right knee has a slight move off to the side (see previous post), but when I did it with my left knee, you could visibly see it move WAY off to one side, grinding the shit out of my femur. She was like "see, watch that, wow, that's really off to the side". Then she showed me all these charts of the muscle that was weak, she measured my quads because I guess my right one is visibly weaker than the other. My left quad is like half an inch or something smaller than the right, but the muscle is way weaker from "years of knee pain" haha. I tend to wait until something is really bad before I go to the doctor. So in any case I was given like five different exercises that I have to do, two of which are kinda hard and I broke a sweat doing them, the others are not so bad, but it's really hard not to go too deep into them, the movements are so minuscule, but I can really feel them in the muscle. So I have to do this over break, then come back and see her again to re-evaluate everything. I am going to try and be very diligent about this too because it's fucking painful, and I want to get back into running. I'm supposed to stay away from any sort of deep knee bend, especially with resistance, and avoid going down steep hills or stairs (which is impossible, I live on the third floor of my building!) So that is my physical homework for break, which is better than any other homework I'm pretty sure.
(Note: I am not pictured here)

Katie Owen is coming up tonight for 80's and tank top party tomorrow! I'm fucking excited it's silly. Katie, Meerkat, Em, Erin, Chelsea all my homies I never see are going to be out! AHHHH I'm busting Jerry, busting.

No comments: