Thursday, September 6, 2007

the concert


My Goodness. I'll say it again, my goodness. This show was a-mazing. Now I'm a tiny bit in love with Spoon to begin with, so to see them live in an intimate venue was great.


The unfortunate part was that we somehow got surrounded with really tall boys and I had to jockey around all night to see the band. So worth it. We got there a little after the doors opened, got a drink and scoped out a place to stand for the remainder. Their opener was really good, it was kinda of a soul/funk/rock band out of Texas, the winning part of their set ... horns. Yes they had a trumpet, alto and tenor sax and I loved every second of it. My heart skipped a beat as I fantasized that "maybe if I just stayed with jazz I could play in a band like this ... and meet Spoon". Now clearly a female Trombone player didn't really fit into their whole scheme, but that is besides the point. After their set (of greatness) we stood around for a while longer and eventually Spoon came out.


They played a really good set. A really good, LONG set. It was a 20 song set with a 4 song encore (more on that later). They played through several excellent tracks from their current album (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga) and then several more from my personal favorite album Gimme Fiction. Now, I'm in love with watching guitar players. I love watching how they convulse on stage in fits of musicality. It's good convulsion though, it's like the musical equivalent of when you eat too much Chinese food and then 8 shots of tequila and go puke in a club bathroom. It feels good, and makes other people feel good too. This was far better than that. Far better. Not to mention the fact that I am IN LOVE with the leader singer. I would mother his children today if he asked me too. And it's not the type of love like I've read his favorite movies and think that we are soul mates, it's strictly based on watching and listening to him play, and thinking he's dreamy. I think when he sings he sounds like a brit, and he LOOKS like a brit I think, and after further investigation, increasing my obsession, I found out that he is named Britt. This just makes me giggle. So after watching him convulse (in a good way) on stage, and watching him giggle with his bass player, and bring the horn section from the opener on stage, the set ended. There is always an encore, always at shows. So we sat there, the patient, pumped up, tired and sweaty audience waiting. And waiting. And after what seemed like hours, probably closer to two minutes (a very long time in waiting for the encore time) they came out and played a 4 song encore. Excellent! 24 songs of Spoon loveliness. It was an amazing concert and I'm glad I went.


I'm a little dead today, I got home at around 1:45 and now am at work at 7:30, but I'm ok. I'm still very excited about the whole thing. OH pictured here: my boyfriend, Britt Daniel, close enough to stalk in Portland Oregon.

No comments: